Back to School Time is Perfect for a Fresh Start with Better Nutrition
This month gives all of us an opportunity for a fresh start with better nutrition as neighborhood kids, teens and college students head back to school. August feels a lot like January, in fact, as a jumping-off point for improvements to breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. And, the best part is that hopping on the good nutrition train now will take you where you want to go before the New Year is here.
Tips for Better Nutrition at Breakfast
- Choose a nutrition-rich cereal like oats, whole grain wheat, or a low-sugar granola
- Make a breakfast sandwich like goat cheese, spinach, and walnuts on whole wheat wrap
- Enjoy a soft or hardboiled egg with a side of cottage cheese and berries
- Savor a bowl of vegetable soup with whole grain crackers
- Try a Mediterranean choice like a big green salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and hummus
Here are healthier Breakfast recipes to try.
5 Tips for Better Nutrition at Lunch
- Make an omelet with chopped onions, peppers, and tomatoes
- Order a pizza that’s light-on-the-cheese
- Split a restaurant meal of spaghetti and meatballs with a friend
- Top off your big leafy salad with a seasoned pouch of tuna or salmon
- Layer Greek yogurt with cut-up melon or berries and chia seeds into a fun parfait
Here are Sandwich Ideas and some other simple recipes to try at lunch.
5 Tips for Better Nutrition at Dinner
- Make a crockpot of chili with extra-lean beef, kidney beans, onions, and seasonings
- Order out from a Chinese restaurant and choose a steamed meal
- Grill chicken alongside foil packets of cut-up sweet potatoes, sweet peppers and onions
- Broil fish or shrimp with lemon juice, black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil
- Invite friends over to make-your-own pizza with chopped veggies, herbs, and Feta cheese
Here’s a healthier Macaroni and Cheese recipe to try at dinner.
5 Tips for Better Nutrition at Snack Time
- Make and enjoy half of a ripe, frozen banana
- Create a healthy trail mix with raisins, nuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Enjoy apple slices with peanut butter
- Whirl a smoothie with nonfat plain yogurt, a banana, and a teaspoon of cocoa powder
- Dip pretzels into unsweetened applesauce or vanilla yogurt
Here are 5 Less Sugary Snacks and recipes to try.
5 Tips for Better Nutrition in Your Back to School Backpack
- Cheese stick & tiny box of raisins
- Single-serving pouch of peanuts or almonds
- Dried figs or Dried fig bar
- Baby carrots and single-serving cup of hummus
- Dried apple slices & Greek style yogurt
Planning for a Fresh Start with Better Nutrition
A plan helps all of us get organized – about something. For flavors that lift your spirits and nutrition that fuels your busy days, planning is super smart. Here are a couple of examples using the tips above:
- Plan #1: Breakfast sandwich with goat cheese, spinach, walnuts + Big lunch salad with tuna pouch + Steamed Chinese takeout dinner
- Plan #2: Breakfast boiled egg & cottage cheese/berries + Layered lunch parfait with Greek yogurt & fruit & chia seeds + Chili in the crockpot dinner
- Plan #3: Breakfast oatmeal with fruit & nuts + Homemade omelet lunch + Grilled chicken with foil veggie packets dinner
What will be your first step to better nutrition at back to school time?