Are you ready to celebrate a most important month of the year? March is when we celebrate National Nutrition Month and it’s a big deal for getting the word out about eating well! This public education campaign comes to us every year in March from the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics and for 2017 the theme is ‘Put Your Best Fork Forward.’ Why? Because every bite counts!
Promoting Nutrition Month is something all of us can do by becoming leaders in our families, our friend groups, and at work. There is simply nothing more powerful than leading by example with better nutrition as the end goal. How? Here are some ways to be a nutrition leader within your circles:
Being a Nutrition Leader at Home & How to Get it Done:
1. Get up every morning and put out light & healthy breakfast foods for the entire family
For example: Oatmeal with toppings like raisins, berries, chopped up nuts, and ground cinnamon
2. Keep simple snacks in the pantry
For example: Almonds, whole wheat crackers, small cups of unsweetened applesauce, dried cherries, unsalted peanuts
3. Prepare dinner from simple ingredients
For example: Chicken stir fry with colorful Bell pepper strips and snow peas, or Grilled salmon with a spritz of lemon juice and sprinkle of dill
Being a Nutrition Leader at Work & How to Get it Done:
1. Bring healthy foods to a meeting
For example: Small, fresh bagels with light cream cheese, or a basket of oranges
2. Order a lighter lunch at the work cafeteria
For example: Vegetarian pita sandwich with fruit salad, or Beef & vegetable soup with a side green salad
3. Contribute something unique to the holiday office party potluck
For example: Green apple & yogurt salad, recipe right here:
Green Apple & Yogurt Salad
3-4 Green Apples, such as Granny Smith
1 Fresh Lemon, Juice
1-1/2 Cups Vanilla Yogurt
Dash Ground Cinnamon
- Wash apples, remove cores and seeds. Cut into about 1/2 inch dice and place into a medium serving bowl.
- Squeeze lemon juice onto diced apples. Stir to coat.
- Add yogurt to apples and stir gently until mixed.
- Sprinkle top of apple salad with cinnamon.
What will you contribute to your next office meeting or party that is delicious and nutritious?